Survivors to kick off Heart Month activities February 7 at MedWest Haywood
Clyde, NC – Two female heart disease survivors will kick-off Heart Month by sharing their story next Friday, February 7 at Noon in the gym of the Health & Fitness Center. This event will occur immediately before MedWest Haywood makes a Go Red for Women video, in which all community members are invited to appear. After the brief filming session, survivors Lisa Gaines and Helen Ann Kroll will be on hand to speak as well as answer questions about their experience.
The Go Red for Women video is part of an all-day lineup designed to celebrate National Wear Red Day, which aims to raise awareness of heart disease in women. The only requirement for appearing in the video is that at least one article of clothing must be red. The activity is appropriate for all ages and all levels of mobility. The National Wear Red Day activities are part of the health center’s overall Heart Month celebration. All Heart Month activities are free and open to the public.
Other events planned for Friday, February 7 include:
• At 5:00 pm in the Health & Fitness Center cardio rehabilitation room, Dr. David Peterson will present a seminar on risk factors for heart disease.
• At 6:00 pm in the Health & Fitness Center classrooms, Drew McArthur, MedWest Haywood’s Registered Dietitian will show participants how to eat heart healthy.
Every Friday, MedWest Haywood will offer free activities at the Health & Fitness Center to educate the community about heart health. Below is the schedule of events, also available at medwesthealth.org/heart:
• Friday, February 14: We Love Your Heart Day: All day- the community is encouraged to try out heart-healthy classes offered free throughout the day at the Health & Fitness Center. Membership is not required to try out these classes for free on February 14.
• Friday, February 14: We Love Your Heart Day: Couples Massages. $140 for a one-hour session aimed at reducing stress and relieving tension. Call 828-452-8080 to reserve a session.
• Friday, February 21: Shop Right to Eat Right. Join MedWest Haywood’s Registered Dietitians on a tour of various grocery stores throughout Haywood County. Details and ways to register will be released soon.
• Friday, February 28: Kids’ Fun Day: Eat and Play. Open to ages 8- 12. From 4:00- 6:30 pm at the Health & Fitness Center. The event starts out with an interactive cooking demo and ends with two different interactive movement sessions: Games to Get You Moving and Boot Camp for Kids. Details and ways to register will be released soon.
Scotty Setser, director of the MedWest Haywood Health & Fitness Center said he was excited to participate in all the upcoming heart month events.
“Our center is unique in that, because of our strong ties with the medical community and because we are part of a medical center, we have the ability to help our members both manage and prevent disease. For instance, we have a cardiac rehabilitation center here onsite, which means that patients can get expert care and advice on how to get well and stay well after a heart attack. My staff is also specially trained to tailor exercise programs for each individual, whether they have a medical need or not. Our strong medical focus is a huge benefit to our members, so when we get the opportunity to host an event like this, that’s something my staff and I get excited about,” said Setser.
National Wear Red Day was created by the American Heart Association and the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute to take action against the disease that claims the lives of nearly 500,000 American women each year. According to the American Heart Association, heart disease is the No. 1 killer of women.
Visit MedWest Health System at MedWestHealth.org. Like us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter. Watch us on YouTube.